An insightful guide to learning the Go programming language
About This Book
- Get insightful coverage of Go programming syntax, constructs, and idioms to help you understand Go code
- Get a full explanation of all the known GoF design patterns in Go, including comprehensive theory and examples
- Learn to apply the nuances of the Go language, and get to know the open source community that surrounds it to implement a wide range of start-up quality projects
Who This Book Is For
Beginners to Go who are comfortable in other OOP languages like Java, C#, or Python will find this course interesting and beneficial.
What You Will Learn
- Install and configure the Go development environment to quickly get started with your first program
- Use the basic elements of the language including source code structure, variables, constants, and control flow primitives
- Get to know all the basic syntax and tools you need to start coding in Go
- Create unique instances that cannot be duplicated within a program
- Build quirky and fun projects from scratch while exploring patterns, practices, and techniques, as well as a range of different technologies
- Create websites and data services capable of massive scaling using Go's net/http package,
- Explore RESTful patterns as well as low-latency WebSocket APIs
- Interact with a variety of remote web services to consume capabilities, ranging from authentication and authorization to a fully functioning thesaurus
The Go programming language has firmly established itself as a favorite for building complex and scalable system applications. Go offers a direct and practical approach to programming that lets programmers write correct and predictable code using concurrency idioms and a full-featured standard library. This practical guide is full of real-world examples to help you get started with Go in no time at all.
You'll start by understanding the fundamentals of Go, then get a detailed description of the Go data types, program structures, and Maps. After that, you'll learn how to use Go concurrency idioms to avoid pitfalls and create programs that are exact in expected behavior. Next, you will get familiar with the tools and libraries that are available in Go to write and exercise tests, benchmarking, and code coverage. After that, you will be able to utilize some of the most important features of GO such as Network Programming and OS integration to build efficient applications.
Then you'll start applying your skills to build some amazing projects in Go. You will learn to develop high-quality command-line tools that utilize the powerful shell capabilities and perform well using Go's built-in concurrency mechanisms. Scale, performance, and high availability lie at the heart of our projects, and the lessons learned throughout the sections will arm you with everything you need to build world-class solutions. You will get a feel for app deployment using Docker and Google App Engine. Each project could form the basis of a start-up, which means they are directly applicable to modern software markets. With these skills in hand, you will be able to conquer all your fears of application development and go on to build large, robust and succinct apps in Go.
This Learning Path combines some of the best that Packt has to offer in one complete, curated package. It includes content from the following Packt products:
- Learning Go Programming
- Go Design Patterns
- Go Programming Blueprints, Second Edition
Style and approach
Full of real-world, practical examples, this course teaches you the widely used design patterns and best practices in Go in a step-by-step manner. It also provides fun projects that involve building applications from scratch.