This device and the Kobo online system has been NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS from the start! I base my evaluation in comparison to Amazon’s basic Kindle and Paperwhite device. I have nothing positive to say about the Kobo Nia. Here are some problems with the Nia and the Kobo system:
1. Reader’s performance is poor and painfully sluggish.
2. Device frequently produces errors of various kinds even after numerous factory resets, restarts, and shutdowns. The device is clearly unreliable.
3. NOT all e-books on the Kobo system are DRM-free! In other words, these books have restrictions that require the customer to use a Kobo reader to read the book they purchased on the Kobo eBookstore. Kobo implies their books are DRM-free unlike Amazon content but this is clearly not the case. Watch for Kobo’s wording. If you look closely only “classic” books are DRM-free (there are not many “classic” books). The majority of the books available for sale have DRM restrictions just like Amazon books.
4. Imported PDFs and a lot of EPUB content is too difficult to see on the small 6 inch screen. For instance, it is like viewing a full version of a website miniaturized on a tiny screen. The font size is ridiculously small. Yes, you can enlarge the PDF, but then you have to scroll up, down, right, and left on a device whose software and hardware is so anemic it clearly struggles to render the page each time you change direction on the page. This makes this Kobo “feature” utterly useless.
5. Yes, you can read books from your local library on the Nia but how does the Kobo system make it any better than for instance an Amazon Kindle? Answer.... NONE. Kobo provides absolutely zero added value in terms of why accessing or reading library books on the device is anything better than a Kindle. If anything, the Kindle’s hardware renders pages quicker than the Kobo Nia.
6. Kobo technical support is friendly but not helpful. All they can do is ask basic questions which are tied to a script. For example, “Have you shutdown the device?” “Have you reset the device?” “If you are still having problems then the device must be defective. The device will need to be sent back to Kobo.” The truth is there is nothing wrong with the device. It is just a terrible product.
So, what is this person’s angle for saying all this? It is simple. I am greatly disappointed with the device and the system. But what really rubs me wrong is I was fooled by their marketing and carefully chosen wording. I thought I was buying a device that was going to be at least equal in performance to the basic Kindle reader and have lots of options to buy books that were DRM-free. Nope. Do not waste your money on Kobo. Amazon Kindle is far superior and Kobo knows it but they will not tell you because they want to fool more people.
The bottom line is definitely think twice before buying this product. I am an advanced tech person. If I am having problems with it then can you imagine what it could be like for someone with less experience or knowledge????There are some happy customers but if you look at the critical comments you will see a trend. Do not ignore those critical comments.
|商品尺寸||112 x 159.3 x 9.2 cm; 172 克|
|保修说明||2 year manufacturer|